Sunday, November 10, 2013

It has been a while...

But something lately has been calling me to write.  I am definitely on a quest of some sort, but I haven't quite determined what it is.  Cue the Red Rider music...

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine sent me a link from the website Buzzfeed.  32 Books That Will Actually Change Your Life.  I was pretty happy that I had read 9 or so of them-and then I thought that perhaps I should read the rest.  So I have made the decision to read the remaining books on the list by the end of 2014.  I looked them all up on Amazon and created a wish list for myself-here is a link to it...Pen's book list.  I will say that I added one book that was not originally on the list-I mentioned my plan to one of my friends and he mentioned a book that he felt I should read, so I added it on.  Why not, right?

As a side note, the 9 that I had read off of the list didn't change my life in any way, really.  I certainly liked them, but at the risk of ruining any credibility I might have with anyone, the only book in recent years that has changed my life in any way was Eat, Pray, Love.  That book made me think more about how I was living my own life in such a profound way-I keep a copy close by and reread it on occasion.

Anyway, where to start?  Well, as luck would have it, one of the books on the list was one I had already purchased along the way, because I felt it was something I was supposed to read.  Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance-An Inquiry into Values by Robert M. Pirsig.  Ironically, I am teaching a class this semester on Professional and Ethical Standards and we talk a lot about where a person's value system comes from.  Perhaps this will relate to my class.  Perhaps I can end up using it instead of a textbook next semester!

So here it goes.  I am not sure if I will write as I go along, or when I finish.  I guess I will figure that out as I go along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment